Sunday, February 23, 2014

Blog post #8: Shojo Fan

Are you a shojo fan? Because I am a shojo fan. I've been a shojo fan since I was in my third year that I really earned money just to buy a shojo manga.Sometimes I create or make my very own shojo manga. Because I was practicing like I said before that I really loved shojo. I love its art, its story, its characters and especially the guys. Being an anime fan or a manga lover is a big part of my life, did you know when I got a new manga with me, I read it always and once again I read it a couple of times. Sometimes when I'm alone at home, I watched lots of anime series and sacrifice my sleep for the 9 hours in just watching the whole season of the anime. Because I'm very addictive when watching shows that I could learn something new. Like for instance speaking like a Japanese, practicing writing their alphabet, pronouncing their words. Here are the few shojo animes and mangas I have read like Kaichou wa maid sama, I haven't read the manga yet because I was so busy, Sukitte li Nayo, haven't finished watching it. Try watching Kimi ni Todoke, this anime series will make you blush and excite you in what will happen next throughout the episodes. Based on my experience I haven't finished watching it yet, because once again I am busy with school work and household chores. And there's this second season of Kimi ni Todoke. I really wished I could live in Tokyo, because Tokyo has often served as the source of inspiration for the stories, visuals and backgrounds and anime and manga fans like me can enjoy seeing the actual sites and city escapes that global audiences can find it amazing and awesome.



I read an article entitled "Fan Film Spotlight: Sailor Moon and the Return of the Shadows", from the site www.shojopower.com, written by Anne Lee. This article is talking about how will be girls as heroes be recognized not just in anime series and manga like shojo does. Have you seen movies given us a plenty of dude heroes but unfortunately we wanted something new, something that the audience will be impressed, and that is having a female hero. As i have read the article that to improve more of the number of lady heroes, is making a film of a live action Sailor Moon movie based on the anime series called Sailor Moon. A Sailor Moon movie would be a logical choice to bring to the big screen and yet it is shojo. Since I haven't know about this movie, I wish I could watch it before it was screening. And finally that will change in 2016 and why Wonder Woman has never appeared on the golden screen in the flesh and its rather embarrassing. Batman, Superman, and Spiderman have always had several movies each while the most recognizable American super heroine doesn't get to have a spotlight. 



According to her, "Over the past ten years Hollywood has been pumping out the live action superhero movies left and right and it looks like there's no end in sight" This remind me of being the heroine in my high school days, since I know myself for being charming, I end up having the 90% of boys in our class to become my friends. There I realized that I'm the only girl their closest to, so I decided to stand up for myself and make them my followers, and it happened. I laugh at them for following me, but they were just going with my joke.


In another article entitled "Japanese Anime Heroines as Role models for U.S. youth", from the site www.natcom.org, written by Srividya Ramasubramania and Sarah Kornfield. This article will be talking about is that how do U.S. fans interact with their favorite anime characters, and why do some fans dress up like anime characters, that's not how I used to be. And learn to speak Japanese, well that is me of course, I wanted to learn in speaking Japanese. We all know that we have loved some fictional characters in TV shows and I've been always admiring lots of fictional characters especially the guys of shojo. Intrigued by this amazing and intense fandom I begin to imagine how these U.S. fans became so involved in shojo. But sometimes fandom can lead to more intense experiences. Recently a genre of anime like shojo has become popular in the U.S. Did you remember that shojo translates to mean girly at all times and this kind of genre is created primarily by female artists, they feature empowered heroines, and yet we all know is intended for female audiences like me. 

According to them "In sum, our research suggests that U.S. youth are attracted to Japanese shojo anime because the central heroine characters have many positive qualities such as intelligence, kindness, and boldness that these young fans admire." I agree that because I am a shojo fan not just based on anime and their manga. But of how the heroine interacts and its attitude, its like you really are the one who's encountering problems in life, that you will even be proud of because you're a girl. That girls needs some spotlight too like its turning me down that female heroines are never always recognized that they are already popular like the other male heroes. These admiration leads the fans like me to wishfully identify with these characters as their role models. Like time passed by the fans develop close parasocial friendships with their favorite heroines by forming close emotional bonds, imitating their attitudes and behaviors and maintaining this relationship by learning more about these characters than those American youth suggests that need for similar strong positive female role models in U.S. mainstreams the popular entertainment as well. 




What makes me love shojo is how the story goes, with its narrative stories and focus on everyday life as characters. When I am watching a shojo anime or manga I've always imagined that I was the heroine or the princess or the star of the story and it makes me happy so much. Like if I want to be like someone, it will makes sense to imitate it. However I have read that fans who progress from liking the heroine in wishfully identifying the characters from another culture. That is, shojo fans like me wanted to identified with each of our favorite heroines are now likely more engaged in intense form of direct imitation of the heroine which explains that sometimes. These effects are interrelated for shojo fans like me. Did you know beyond popularity, shojo has dedicated fans who dress up like the heroines, regularly attended anime conventions, and form fan communities. But sadly, I don't do cosplay, I wanted to be more of a mangaka so I could share my ideas on how girls should be getting recognized too by men and others. Be a shojo fan because it's fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment